Aaloo ke Gutke: A very old Kumaoni dish, of Hilly Potato’s fried in mustard oil, seasoned with red fried chillies, coriander leaves and other spices. Pahari aloo ke Gutke recipe is a regional culinary gem that has its origins in the hilly terrains of Uttarakhand. The tasty & spicy Uttarakhand Food and Cusine.
- Potatoes- 5-6
- Mustard oil- 1 tbsp
- Zeera- ½ tsp
- Asafodita- 1 pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Red Chilies- 3-4 nos.
- Amchoor (dry green mango powder)-1 tsp
- Curry leaves (optional)- some
- Coriander leaves- to decorate
- Boil potatoes, peel them and cut them into 1 inch cubes.
- Sprinkle turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, amchoor and salt. Mix well.
- Heat oil in wok and fry whole chilies in it till they turn brown.Take them out and keep aside.
- Add Asafoetida, cumin seeds and curry leaves and let them splutter.
- Add the mixed cubes of potatoes and stir fry them for some time.
- Switch off the flame and cover vessel with lid. Let it stand for some time.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and cover it again for some time.
- Note- Serve with green Pudina (mint) chutney and fried whole chilies.