A local favorite, Kumaoni Dal Bade are crispy, flavorsome, gluten free urad dal fritters and very famous in Uttarakhand. The soaked split urad dal is ground in a stone mortar and pestle to get the fine paste, seasoned with spices and then whisked manually till it is light and airy, perfect to make bada.
Ingredients for Dal Bade:
- Urad dal/uzhunnu : 1 1/2 cup
- Onion : 1/4 cup
- Ginger : 1 inch
- Green chillies : 3,4
- Jeera powder, Garam masala, Salt, Chopped Onions, Coriander leaves
- water :120 ml
- Salt : to taste
Preparation or Making:
- Soak urad dal in water for atleast 2 hr.
- Grind urad dal by adding little water.
- Add salt, Jeera powder, Garam masala, Salt, Chopped Onions, Coriander leaves into it.
- Grind till you get smooth,thick and fluffy batter.
- Crush ginger, green chillies.
- Add crushed items into the dal batter along with onion and mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Wet your palm in water. Take a ball of urad dal paste in left hand ,make the shape of vada and make a hole in the centre.
- Then change it into the right hand and put into the oil.
- Fry each side until it became golden colour and crispy out outside.